Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 31 - National Macaroon Day

Holiday Insights

I have no idea who made up this holiday, or why. Well, I know why - macaroons are YUMMY! I also have no idea if my macaroon recipe is "authentic." Even if it's not, I think I'll make some anyway:

Coconut Macaroons

3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 1/2 c. shredded coconut (sweetened is fine, but you may want to cut back on the granulated sugar)
2 egg whites (approximately 4 tablespoons or 2 ounces)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a spatula or your hands.
  • Use a non-stick baking sheet, or line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Wet your hands and make small piles of the mixture, each 1-2 tablespoons, about an inch apart.
  • Bake at 350F until light brown, about 15 minutes.
  • Remove the baking sheet and cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before eating.
  • These keep well in a covered container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment