May 12 - Limerick Day
ALSO - National Nutty Fudge Day
I couldn't decide which holiday I wanted to celebrate today. I like funny poems. But I also like fudge with nuts. So I decided to combine my celebrations. I'll be making fudge (with nuts) and I'll pipe a limerick on top using frosting. Meanwhile, enjoy my limericks about nutty fudge!
There once was a man named Cutty
He wanted some fudge that was nutty
He tried making some
But it couldn't be done
It came out tasting like putty
There once was a man named Rudge
He liked to eat nutty fudge
His wife made him some
But she shouldn't have done
It came out looking like sludge
(OK, OK, I realize that is just a copy of the first poem...I'll try harder with the next one.)
There once was an old trial judge
Against his wife he held a grudge
His favorite treat
She wouldn't eat
That treat was some nutty fudge
On the face of Old Lady Crudge
Was a very large smudge of fudge
She tried and tried
and she cried and cried
but that smudge of fudge wouldn't budge.
Limerick Day was created to celebrate not only the familiar poetry style, but also the birthday of the man who popularized it - Edward Lear.
Here are some of his still enjoyable books:
The Owl and the Pussy-Cat
Complete Nonsense
Nonsense Books
Today is also:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment