Monday, May 19, 2008

May 19 - Circus Day

Ah, the circus, the circus. I immediately think of a crowded tent, watching elephants and lion tamers and acrobats swinging overhead. I can nearly taste the popcorn and peanuts. As I think more about the circus, I think of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey’s Greatest Show on Earth. Then I think of Dr. Seuss. Or, more precisely, his book, If I Ran the Circus. Yes, the Circus McGurkus, with the 500 gallon tank of lemonade and Mr. Sneelock calmly smoking his pipe in the background.

On this day in 1884, the Ringling Brothers (Alf, Al, Charles, John, Otto, and later, Henry) wowed America with their first circus performance. But this was not the first circus in the world, not even the first in America.

Circuses and circus-like performers have been around since the days of ancient Rome. The more modern circus came about in the late 1700s. Philip Astley, of England, was famous for his fancy horse-riding tricks. He created the 42-foot ring that is the measurement used to this day. Also, to add novelty to his act, he later added what are now common circus sights: a clown, jugglers, tightrope walkers and more.

Later, in the early 1800s, these permanent shows were replaced by shows that took the circus on the road first with horse-drawn (or elephant) wagons, and later by train cars.

P. T. Barnum, who didn’t get into the circus business until late in his career, combined his freak-show/side-show spectacles with the more traditional circus acts and menageries.

Circuses are still on the road to this day, with the most modern type being the Cirque du Soleil.

Since Circus Day falls on a Monday this year, you may not be able to attend an actual performance. To celebrate, check out the links I've gathered for you. Check out the Super Circus TV show or color in some circus coloring pages.

Circuses, Circus history and further information:
Philip Astley
P. T. Barnum
The Barnum Museum
Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey
Circus World Museum
CircusWeb
The Circus in America
Cirque du Soleil

The Super Circus TV Show and other videos:
An episode from 1954
An episode from 1956
Mary Hartline, known as "Our Queen" on Super Circus
Circus Capers, an old b/w cartoon
Under the Big Top, a feature film from 1938

Old books about circuses and circus performers:
P. T. Barnum's autobiography
Circus Life and Circus Celebrities
Toby Tyler; or, Ten Weeks with a Circus
Sawdust & Spangles; Stories & Secrets of the Circus

Miscellaneous links:
Circus Circus, Las Vegas
Circus coloring pages
CircusFit
If I Ran the Circus
Circus, from Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Holiday coloring pages for your kids: Holidays.
    Coloring is very relaxing and therapeutic for some:-)

    ReplyDelete