Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May 14 - Underground American Day

Official Site

Here is a day to celebrate and honor those who live IN the earth, not ON it. If you don't know anyone like this, you can celebrate by:

  • Eating a parsnip or a radish
  • Bury some treasure
  • Ride the subway
This holiday interested me because I was always interested in homes built underground or into a hill. As a child, I practically lived in my parents' unfinished basement. Additionally, I've had a long-term fascination with tunnels and secret passageways.

Fault lines are not the only things that lie below the surface in Los Angeles:
Lizard People Living Under Los Angeles?
The Pacific Electric Subway (Defunct)
San Fernando Tunnel, SPRR
Figueroa Street Tunnels

Below the surface in Chicago, Burlington, WI and Moose Jaw:
Chicago Pedway (partially underground)
Tunnels of Moose Jaw
Al Capone and the Burlington, WI Tunnels

Today is also:
National Night Shift Workers' Day
Donate a Day's Wages to Charity Day
Receptionists' Day

No comments:

Post a Comment