This isn't an actual holiday, except to those who love the musical "My Fair Lady." In the lyrics to "Just You Wait," Eliza is frustrated by Henry Higgins' attempts to teach her proper English enunciation and fantasizes how she will get her revenge. She imagines she is famous and on familiar terms with the King of England, who pronounces May 20th as Eliza Doolittle Day.
From "Just You Wait," lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner:
One evening the king will say: "Oh Liza, old thing,
I want all of England your praises to sing.
Next week on the twentieth of May
I proclaim Liza Doolittle Day!
All the people will celebrate the glory of you
And whatever you wish and want I gladly will do."
"Thanks a lot, King," says I, in a manner well-bred;
"But all I want is 'enry 'iggins 'ead!"
To celebrate, try to rent the movie adaptation. If you can't get a copy in time, watch this video:
No comments:
Post a Comment