Thursday, June 05, 2008

June 5 - Candy Month

June is Candy Month. If I were in charge, I probably would have made October the designated month of candy, but that's just me. I'm not in charge. Anyhow, I just finished reading Candy Freak by Steve Almond. In his book, Almond discusses the beloved candy of his youth, and it made me nostalgic as well.

I remember eating candy with my friend Kate. We would pretend that Tic Tacs were medicine we needed to do adventurous things. (What? I was five.) We would sit under the tree in my front yard and eat Now and Laters, Lik-m-Aid, Bottle Caps...mmm.

I remember Nana would give me Skittles. (Nana gave me everything I ever wanted. Including a Lite Brite, for which I am eternally grateful.) I would eat each bag of Skittles differently. Sometimes I would eat them color by color, usually starting with lime first; it was my least favorite flavor. Sometimes I would shove the contents of one bag in my mouth and see how long it took me to chew it all up. And once in a while, I'd just eat one or two at a time, however they fell out of the bag.

In Candy Freak, Almond also goes into great detail about the candy he remembers but is no longer manufactured. Perhaps I'm just too young, but I can't think of any candy that has disappeared on me. Do you have any long lost favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment