Saturday, March 08, 2008

March 8 - Read an E-book Week

March 2-8 - Read an E-book Week
Official Site

Today is the conclusion of Read an E-book Week. But there is still time to read!

I don’t think that e-books will replace paper books, at least not in my lifetime. There is something about having books in your hand, on your shelf, at the store or library that cannot be replaced with a computer, e-reader or iPhone.

Despite this desire for actual, physical books, I do read e-books from time to time. I often read books found at Internet Archive, a pioneer in the book digitization industry. This non-profit organization only digitizes books that are in the public domain, which means that the books available are largely pre-1923. While you may initially feel restricted by this, you will eventually be surprised by the large number of popular titles available. The books vary widely in subject. There is plenty of non-fiction, novels, poetry, cookbooks, how-to, and more. You will certainly be able to find something to read there.

There are many other sites with free e-books available. Project Gutenberg is a partner with Internet Archive. More books can be found here and here.

I would love to get a Kindle, but for now I will read physical books, and some e-books online.

No comments:

Post a Comment