Wednesday, March 12, 2008

March 12 - Girl Scout Day

March 12 - Girl Scout Day
Girl Scouts of America official website
Find Girl Scout Cookies near you
Holiday Insights

On this day in 1912, Juliette Gordon Low assembled the first Girl Scout meeting in Savannah, Georgia. Eighteen girls attended. Approximately 73 years later, a cute little blonde girl joined her local Daisy Girl Scout group. OK that little girl was me. And I was kind of cute. Except for the 80s hair.

Anyway, I don't remember much about being a Daisy Girl Scout. I remember that we met at my friend Jackie's house (her mom was the troop leader). I couldn't say what we did during those meetings, but I do remember that Jackie had a bunny rabbit.

After kindergarten, Daisies become Brownie Girl Scouts. I was always jealous of the girls that got the full GS uniform. My parents could only afford to buy me the sash. The sash that I never filled up with badges.

We seemed to do a lot of crafts. We went camping once or twice, nothing too rugged though. Of course, I remember selling the cookies, and going door-to-door with my Dad.

One time, we had to cook a meal at home for our family. My parents took pictures of me as I did this. I think I may still have those pictures somewhere. I remember that we used them on a poster board to show what I cooked for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment