Tuesday, August 05, 2008

August 5 - Work Like a Dog Day

Work Like a Dog Day

How does one work like a dog? The definition I came up with is "to work very energetically and hard." Seeing-eye dogs, and drug or cadaver dogs notwithstanding, most dogs don't really do any work. I wouldn't consider them to be very industrious. "Work like a beaver" would be far more appropriate, although I wouldn't be able to say that without giggling.

While pondering this colorful phrase, I remembered another canine-related idiom: "dogged," meaning "stubbornly persevering; tenacious." In this light, "work like a dog" makes more sense to me. Dogs can be "dogged" when tracking a scent, or digging a hole.

So, to celebrate Work Like a Dog Day, you should work very energetically and hard while stubbornly persevering and being tenacious.

Wow. I'm tired just thinking about it. That sounds like too much for a Tuesday. I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.

(Before you send any nasty e-mails, I know that Arthur Dent couldn't get the hang of Thursdays. I personally have always had trouble with Tuesdays. If you don't know what I'm talking about, never mind.)

Definitions were obtained from Answers.com.

1 comment:

  1. We need to stop rolling over and playing dead to honor this dubious work ethic and start working like cats instead. That is, smarter, not harder.

    I've already written the guide, "How to Work Like a Cat," and it's now also available as a 2009 wall calendar to keep the concept front and center in the mind of every cubicle-dweller in Corporate America who'd like to stop chasing Frisbees and indulge in an occasional catnap.

    It's time to reclaim our dignity and self-respect by working like cats instead of dogs.

    Karen Wormald
    www.worklikeacat.com

    ReplyDelete