Flip a Coin Day
Can I just say, I love Wikipedia. Almost every time, I find what I am looking for. I went straight to Wikipedia right before I started writing about Flip a Coin Day. I didn't expect to find much, but figured I'd at least start there. I didn't realize that so much could be written about something so simple. I mean, if you had to explain coin tossing to someone from a third world country, I can't imagine it would be that difficult.
So explaining = easy. Actually flipping the coin? Not so much.
I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome now from trying to flip the darn coin. I sat in my living room and practiced flipping the coin for at least 15 minutes and only got a few satisfactory flips. Most of mine flopped off to one side or arched too far forward. I looked online for a tutorial on how to flip a coin. Ehow doesn't offer enough instruction, nor are there any pictures. I found a YouTube video of a kid that shows you how to flip a coin, but in order to be able to flip a coin well, you basically just have to keep practicing.
Here are my pointers:
- Keep your hand steady as possible.
- Only the tip of your thumb should move. The rest of your hand, especially your index finger, should remain still.
- Flick your thumb straight up as fast as possible.
I started out with a nickel but I find that a quarter is easier to flip. I would use a half dollar, but good luck trying to find any these days.
If you have trouble flipping a coin, but you need to resolve a matter, consider using one of the following online coin-flipping services:
Random.org
Flip-coin.com
Ken White's Coin Flipping Page
Flip a Coin
Today is also:
Dare Day
Pen Pal Day

No comments:
Post a Comment